Saturday, September 20, 2008

Trieste


So after a stressful train ride, where I had to pay for my ticket with my emergency credit card (apparently my ATM card does not work in Europe), some small talk with an awkward Greek girl, and a lot of sleeping while clutching my fashionable messenger bag, I made it to Trieste. It's beautiful here.  The mountains and the scenery are incredible, almost like somebody moved Rome to Burlington, Vermont.  The bright greens and the wind remind me of home, but as with Italy in general, every piece of Trieste could be it's own museum, there is so much history here. I haven't really met anyone yet, which is incredibly depressing, but at least I managed to get into my room which is pretty standard but the bed is much more comfortable than any dorm room I have ever been in.  I ate in the cafeteria once, which has a beautiful view of the Adriatic Sea, but I only got a little bit of food and when I tried to get more and they refused to swipe my card again.  They told me I had to go get some sort of ticket or something, but I couldn't figure out what they were saying so I just left.  After two years of getting A's in Italian classes I am sort of surprised that I understand nothing here, not a word.  My Italian also gets worse when I'm flustered, which I usually am.  However, people are very patient with me and hopefully tomorrow I can figure out if there is any sort of orientation or anything, but I am guessing not.  The girl who let me sign on with her internet password told me to go see the Segreterie Delle Studente in the morning, which is in the main building on campus so wish me luck.

No comments: