Friday, September 5, 2008

She Calls me Goliath...

I just got back from my last night at UVM for a while. I'm glad I got to walk around campus and see some people before I left, including my favorite professor who is helping me with my thesis project.  We'll see if I still want to do it after a year in Europe.  I saw so many officers with badges, I feel like Burlington has become a police state.  There are usually cops everywhere the first couple weekends of school, but I have never seen it this bad.  Last weekend my buddies received a $200.00 noise violation when their TV was on really loud and the windows were open, no party or anything.  A lot of underage kids have gotten drinking tickets, and I'm really glad I don't have to deal with another year of dodging cops and trying not to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.  It was really interesting to see how when we were down by the bars, there were drunken idiots everywhere, but no cops to be seen.  As if they were all saying..."Oh those kids are 21...it's fine."  Because it was assumed that I was 21, I could stumble around as much as I want, but the second I got a couple of blocks uptown I had to have eyes in the back of my head, because every other car is a cop.  It just seems so arbitrary.  
At about 10pm I tucked in my friend Dave who had started and finished the night early, loudly playing the first verse of Cumbersome by Seven Mary Three on his computer over and over again.  Then I headed downtown with some people where my recently expired ID was surprisingly effective.  After having a few drinks at RJ's, and escaping from a girl who kept inappropriately rubbing my inner thigh and buying me tequila shots, my friends Indy, Glenn and I moved over to What Ales You, and despite the issues we had getting in, it was a great time.  The bouncer grabbed Glenn's ID and began bending it back and forth like the home-made, poorly laminated piece of shit that it is.
"This is fake," he informed us.  Indy was about to step in and try to say something helpful when Glenn through his arm up in the air to stop him and said the most unconvincing thing I've ever heard. 
"No it's not...that's my ID...I come here all the time."  He sounded like a little kid with crumbs all over him, claiming that he hadn't stolen the cookies from the cookie jar.  Then, for some inexplicable reason they let him in, and the three of us had a few shots, I managed to get bumped into and spill a drink on myself, and somebody bought me a Jager bomb that made me throw my arms into the air and yell "Done."  After some pizza and a failed attempt by Indy to take home the coach of the women's lacrosse team, we really were done, and made our way back to Indy's house for some late night Mario Tennis and passing out.  All in all, an excellent night, and though I couldn't imagine spending this entire year in Burlington, I will miss a lot of the people.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're a blogger not nelly? I miss you

Love Wicklund

Ben said...

not gonna lie dude, im kind of upset you diddnt invite me on this trip downtown.

Noah said...

I know man I wanted to see you before I left...talk to Indy he was at your frat house before the sillyness started.

Glenn said...

For your information, at the time what I said seemed to be full of confidence and unmistakably true. I thought I was the best liar ever. Add this one to the group of things that I do that George Costanza would also do.

Noah said...

hahahahahaha well put George.