Tuesday, September 9, 2008

My Mom Called Me a Metrosexual

So my mom called me a metrosexual today.  It's actually a longer story than you would think. Last night I tried packing, and my plan was to put everything in my giant hiking backpack, leaving enough room to fit my little backpack and laptop in there once I got off the plane.  After rolling clothes into vacuum bags and shoving pairs of socks and random electronic cords into all the nooks and crannies, I realized there was no way I was fitting my school bag with a laptop in there. Fuck.

Thank God for my mom, who came to the rescue with the brilliant idea of buying one of those messenger bags with just the one strap.  I could carry that on the plane and then keep it over one shoulder with the backpack on and my travel guitar in one hand.  This set-up would make sure my big backpack stays under fifty pounds and would give me a free hand for waving, itching, slapping, or whatever else becomes necessary while traveling from Rome's airport to the train station and then all the way up to Trieste.

I returned home triumphant with my purchase, ready to tackle Europe in a classy way. My dad greeted me when I got there.

"Hey what did you end up with?" He asked.

"Check it out."  I took the bag out and put it over my shoulder so he could see, just as my mom came inside.

"My God Noah, you look just like a..."

"Metrosexual," my mom blurted out.  I didn't even know she had ever heard that word before.

"I was going to say lawyer," finished my dad.  "What's a metrosexual?"  After a lengthy explanation that left my father still scratching his head, I placed the bag in my room and chuckled to myself.  Definitely did not see that one coming...but she does have a point. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I always wondered, all it took was a murse to make it true. Miss you Nelly!